Paperwork Takes Over

The Dark City
vampirss
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Dread

Paperwork Takes Over

Post by vampirss »

Having spent so much time up in Frostfall recently, there were scrolls piling up on her desk. She never intended to be gone so long but it happens that way sometimes. Leland met her at the door and caught her up on things that took place since she was gone. Ever since her return and her setting things straight on what would and would not be allowed, there weren’t many mishaps to report.

Looking at the pile after she sat down she looked up at him, “This will teach me to be gone so long. Have someone bring me in a glass of my favorite wine.” Looking back at the pile she changed her mind, “have them bring the bottle with them. I have a feeling I’ll need it.

He laughed and nodded as he was leaving, “I’ll let them in when it is ready,” then closed the door behind him.

A sigh left her parted lips as she picked up the first scroll. She thought it was best to go through them all, sorting out the ones that required immediate attention first, then work her way through the others by date. When the door opened after a light rap, she was still deep in the sorting process with the possibility of light showing at the end of the pile. Without looking, she waved her hand and said, “pour me a glass and leave the bottle.” The girl did as she was told without question.

Done with her task, she stepped away and meekly asked, “anything else?

Still not looking up, she told her, “have Leland come in. I want notes to be taken. Also, have a fresh ink pot brought in.

The girl bowed her head and responded, “as you wish,” then left the office closing the door behind her.

Saty was buried in piles that were now appropriately sorted. Picking up the first piece of parchment, she read the contents and looked puzzled.

Leland walked in with the new ink pot. He placed it on her desk and asked, “what’s with the look?

She looked up and grumbled. “Why am I getting Aviditas scrolls?

We didn’t know what else to do with them. They were piling up at the plantation now that Venis has taken his leave. Since nobody is sure when he will return or someone will take over the duties, the scrolls have been brought here.

While he was talking she nodded her head in understanding. “Yes. That does make sense. We will work on rectifying that situation. Till then, let’s get to work.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
High Lady of Twilight, House Umbra
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Re: Paperwork Takes Over

Post by vampirss »

Little did she realize how many items Venis had coming in, or the deals he brokered. She trusted his judgement, but still looked over them a second time before signing off on things. It was one thing to trust, another to sign your name to someone else’s idea without having a brief idea of what was going on.

She stopped in the middle of reading another piece of parchment that had the Aviditas seal on it. Looking over at Leland, quill in hand waiting on her next word, she saw him looking back at her puzzled because of her stopping. The soft chuckle that escaped her slightly parted lips made his brow furrow. “How is Harold? I hadn’t asked about him yet and realized I didn’t see him around.

Leland lay the quill down on the edge of the desk next to an ink pot and responded, “He’s at Aviditas right now overseeing things. The staff was still there but Lord Venis never left a particular person in charge when he was not around. He liked having final oversight with his staff and they were a bit off without that direction. Things were being done but a lot of bickering was taking place. Harold is seeing to it that this stops and is watching, seeing if someone stands up and takes charge respectfully rather than the way things were going. He’s liking the person that brought the scrolls that were sitting around to attention. There are questions like why did that person wait so long or why wasn’t it brought forward sooner, but who ever expects they will need to watch over a High Lord like that.

With a slight nod while he spoke, she agreed to what he was saying. She left Harold and Leland in charge here while she was gone. Complete oversight of the House was hers, but she trusted the twins completely. She knew that when she wasn’t here, they would keep things together and get anything that needed immediate attention to her. “I’ll forget that ‘watch over a High Lord like that’ remark since you and Harold take care of things for me quite well. However, we have that dynamic in place already. When it isn’t set up that way, the house can go into chaos without known oversight.” A soft chuckle escaped her lips as he coughed nervously.

Giving Leland a moment, she thought about what would need to be done. She will have to remember to go by the plantation and check things out. Visit with Harold and see what he has to report there. Finally, she continued, “That is good thinking. I’m not sure which of you thought of it, but most likely both of you. I will make a point to go by there sometime, when I can. There are probably things I should tend to more first hand. Get a message to Harold. Thank him for the oversight and let him know that we will come visit soon.

The corners of Leland’s mouth went up slightly even though he tried not to smile. “”I will get to that once we are done here.

Another nod and softly whispered, “good” and they were back to work.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
vampirss

Re: Paperwork Takes Over

Post by vampirss »

This load came in two months ago. I do hope it was checked. Have someone from the docks show you the manifest and make sure it cross-references with everything listed here. If it does, then all is good and I’ll sign off on it. If it doesn’t, we have another problem and I’ll tend to that should the need arise.” She put that piece of parchment down and picked up the next one that was dated just a little less than two months ago. Progress.

After reading a few minutes, she looked out the window in thought and then back to the parchment. “What day is it?” Leland told her then watched as she seemed to be calculating in her mind. “Oh my. This person will be arriving any day now. Get someone to the docks to look for this person, Lord Laraunt. He can come here to stay at Umbra while things are being sorted. Do we know if a shipment of wine was received recently...in the last month...perhaps?

Yes. A shipment did come in. It was addressed to you so it was placed in the basement winery and placed at the recommended temperature. Is there a problem?

It seems that Lord Venis did some research. He had scouts out looking for a winery that could properly produce my wine. Not only did the scout find someone, but had a boatload of wine sent to us here. Then the man that produces the wine has volunteered to come here at Lord Venis’ invitation. According to this, he should be arriving any time now. He sent it out a month after the wine was sent. You do the calculations.

Leland sat there going over what he knew and nodded, “Yes, it does seem he should be here anytime now. I’ll get someone over to meet him soon. One of the guard or would you prefer a dignitary? Someone from the house?

Considering the situation, she thought it best to send out one of the guard. Someone young, smart and very motivated. “Send Private Hillston. He has always been good with such things.

Very well. I’ll send him over right away.” He was in the process of putting the scrolls down that he had been taking notes on when she stopped him.

Make him a sergeant, if he isn’t already. He deserves to be promoted. He’s been very loyal and is much smarter than many others. Make sure he has his stripes on when he goes to meet this Lord.

Leland was standing and halfway to the door when she finished speaking. “I’ll get it done and send the message to Harold as well. Take a break and we’ll get the rest done soon.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress

Return to “Twilight”