Aviditas: The Month of Longing

For the Kingdom of Twilight and its tribute cities.
Ruler: Shadow Lord Silk, of Dread and Fate
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

Aviditas: The Month of Longing

Post by venis »

Day 944: Afternoon, Plantation of Aviditas – Noble’s Office

I’m rarely without an abundance of words, but something about her makes me want to articulate things flawlessly. So, after far too many discarded parchments bearing less than desirable drafts, I’m at least somewhat satisfied with my words upon the last one.

A missive to Witchfalls, carrying all the trappings of formality, for it is not only a personal agenda, but also one of business, profit and enterprise.

Do accept, I pine without you near.

Day 953: Evening, Plantation of Aviditas – Noble’s Office

Now this request is one that leaves me just as curious as it does likely to be swept into something dark and almost certainly illegal. I said I would, but now I’m wondering where in Kilogoth’s hell am I supposed to find blood wine? To even have this sort of thing commissioned?

Let’s think, V. Rules. We’re good at those, after all. A few rules, then, I would imagine, ought be set for ourselves:
  1. Don’t do it in Twilight. For reasons multifarious.
  2. Keep it off the books, quiet. It’s not an affair of Twilight’s, but a favor among old colleagues.
  3. Use trusted emissaries, but don’t be seen personally making inquiries.
  4. Use the clandestine trade routes.

At least we have something of a framework. Good start for now.

Torn edges of missing pages seem to suggest several have been removed.

Day 961: Mid-Morning, Plantation of Aviditas – Outer Grounds

I am compelled to describe this day, for there is such a thing as beauty in this world.

In an otherwise immaculate sea of blue sky does the sun sit this morning, cradled by two large clouds over which it effortlessly peeks. Its beams dance across the fields illuminating the western half of the grounds as far as vision goes, and shade’s relief nestles the eastern banks where the geography of one of our hillsides breaks into the small decline. Laughter chimes in the background, the scurry of footsteps and then several splashes—children announcing the river is warm enough for a swim this time of year. Yonder, where the sun and shadows intertwine behind high corn stalks yearning for harvest, the rooftop of the plantation house sprawls proudly over the acreage of well-tended farmland.

Whoever is decided on us being some wicked realm full of darkness and gloom ought to see this countryside as I do in the middle of Longing—splendid, rich with colors of many hues, picturesque. I feel blessed by the gods to behold this perfect vision.

I must revisit this entry in less happy times.
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

Aviditas: The Month of First Harvest

Post by venis »

Day 970: Noon, Plantation of Aviditas – Atlas Lounge

It’s a curious thing watching this period of immigration unfold, for it’s inviting me to gaze into a historical mirror—a former Witchfalls Steward sails in, entourage of Witchfalls people in tow. The only difference is… I certainly did not bring this much luggage. What can she possibly need all this for?

I digress, for this truly is a happy circumstance. There’s a second occasion for familiar faces on the plantation, we have plenty of room for the luggage, and now the prince of avarice again has what he covets most.

Day 972: Late Afternoon, Plantation of Aviditas – Noble's Office

A few thoughts on the Minotaur “alliance”. They keep off Twilight shores and give us weapons, we give “offerings”. Feels rather one-sided when the plantation effortlessly grows enough Harrin herb to strangle their entire race, but for some reason that’s what they want. We shouldn’t have too much difficulty managing the extant treaty so long as we do not offend them.

The scheme then, as I should recall this entry in the event our ship returns safely:

Aviditas supplied the trade vessel and diplomat fluent in the native tongue of Minotaur, as well as the transport of the Twilight cargo to the capital. Umbra lent roughly a dozen of its elite shadow guard to scout the shores and ensure safe passage for our diplomat to make the trade. We also hired a handful of Occisor’s militia, half of which will exist in their normal capacity, the other half adorned in Aviditas garb to accompany the actual diplomat in the circumstance of “eventful” happenings. Umbra saw to all concerns pertaining to the docks of the capital, general administration pre- and post-departure, and guaranteed the availability of a slip for our vessel in the event she returns unmolested.

This all makes me a bit nervous, as I’ve only ever encountered the temperament of Minotaurs once before. That, and we really can’t afford to lose said diplomat, as while I thought I had numerous “talented” linguists around, apparently finding one who speaks Minotaur is met with great difficulty.

Day 975: Evening, Village of Dominium – Aviditas Outpost

I received the request of Umbra for durable rope, the likes of which ought be fantastically difficult to snap. The warehouse staff on Dominium’s river were kind enough to lend us some of the heavy stones to this end for quality assurance and general testing. Once we accumulated enough satisfactory samples, the stones were returned to the warehouse and the trade goods were packaged to embark with the rest of the wares outgoing to the capital on the morrow.

I imagine the punisher Velon won’t have any problem keeping his Gallows in order.

This brandy is certainly a fine finish to something of a morbid afternoon. Cheers, Umbra.

Return to “Realm of Twilight”