Coast Walk

For the Kingdom of Twilight and its tribute cities.
Ruler: Shadow Lord Silk, of Dread and Fate
Vespers

Coast Walk

Post by Vespers »

The sky was pink with dawn by the time she moved. The raccoon chirped a protest and snuggled into the roof, leaving her to make the journey on her own. Vespers slipped down into the waiting street and out of the village before most were up and soon found herself on the coast.

She had always kept to the cities, to inns and rooftops and crowds a person could get lost in. Those were her home, but this empty, rocky stretch still reached out to her. The forests nearby, the river and stone and breaking waves spoke to her as if in a foreign language that she’d heard spoken all of her life and never studied.

This too was Twilight, the kingdom away from the cities. She spotted a pair of Occisor’s guard in the distance and smiled to herself. Cradled in our hands, even though it barely feels our footsteps. There’s so much more though that we can be. As her thoughts drifted, Vespers found herself picking up a small stone, and a memory crept into her mind.

She stood facing Ravon, the air between them thick with energy, the tension of unreleased magic, and no small amount of annoyance. The stone in her hand was small but felt as if it weighed more than a mountain as she tried to move it with that energy. “I’m not a mage, Ravon” she’d protested dozens of times, but the Warlock’s faith was stronger than her protests.

“Everyone has magic within them.”

Vespers said it aloud now, remembering a more recent night, a spell of her own devising and a powerful effect. “You were right.”

Her eyes narrowed as she turned away from the coast and back toward the walls of Twilight city and Dominium. “We have no lack of people, so why do we use so little of it here?”

No longer wandering, the red-haired woman made her way quickly back to the city with a laugh. “At least this time I won’t have to take the lessons myself… I doubt either of us would make it through another round of that.”
Vespers

Re: Coast Walk

Post by Vespers »

It was a rare day that found Vespers in the official Twilight Council chamber. She sat at the immense table surrounded by a formality she tended to run from like it was a hydra. Yes, Vespers ran from hydras. They had too many heads, and all of them wanted to eat her. Her talk with Ravon had lasted well into the evening, and now she sat staring at an empty piece of paper with the words they’d spoken like a whirlwind in her mind.

“The more I think about it, the more uses I find. Healers for the city, the village, the army, the plantation… elemental magics for the army and plantation, what about stone work? Umbra’s eyes and ears… “

The red-haired woman bent her head over the page and began scribbling notes. At the very top of the page though she wrote one phrase boldly.

“Don’t forget about the things you can’t do. They still exist, and gods above do they matter.”

Return to “Realm of Twilight”