The Address of the Realm

For the Kingdom of Twilight and its tribute cities.
Ruler: Shadow Lord Silk, of Dread and Fate
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

The Address of the Realm

Post by venis »

A busy night for the carriers of the State Department ensued, but once finished, a decree could be found fixed to all places of public utility upon the continent:

In Dominium, within banks, outside shops, the Deep Granite Inn, all about places of passage on Pangowl, Halewai and Drogalen.

In the Capital, likenesses are fastened within the eyesight of patrons frequenting the entertainment establishments of Night’s Corner and Outlaw Lane, all the way to the Metropole. The Auction House, City Hall, the Docks. The Morinthian Mansion for those in the Northeast off Avarice Avenue and Wealth’s Way and likewise for those of House Occisor to the Southeast. The Warehouses to the Southwest on Obsidian and Abandoned Way. On a peculiarly plain house on Shadow’s Pass to the Northwest.

On the outskirts of the continent have been disseminated instances of the message to each of the towers under the watchful eyes of Occisor, and of course the plantation acreage of Aviditas from whence the message originated.

This widespread decree looks the same each time—fine parchment prominently bearing the sigil of the Realm of Twilight and to a lesser extent the stylized depiction of a gold coin etched with the black infinity, and reads:

“People of the Great Realm of Twilight,

On this day, the 18th of Frostfall of 489, we find ourselves in a melancholy and somber place. Though the substance of this decree is regrettable, the State is compelled to address the public which it serves even in difficult times, especially in difficult times.

For years we have prospered, flourished in peace. The great Houses were reinstituted to serve you in practicality, ousting the darkness of our past, eliminating fruitless wrangling for power, and embracing instead a future designed for our mutual benefit. We have been a continent of great warmth and friendship. A realm of laws.

But now come mechanisms that seek to threaten our beloved realm, adversarial stances taken by those far at sea which could stifle or destroy our way of life.

An upstart, who certainly resembles our Lord, our King, has proclaimed himself a ‘Baron’ in the Realm of Devardec. A villainous little plebe is he, for he has set his most hostile eyes upon us with his manifest objective that of defamation—he accuses us of violence, terror and plotting war. Worse, he has managed to rouse some sort of open defiance against his true King and leader, Jarenmar, whose presence we look to for leadership for our lawful friends in Devardec. It is our sincere wish that this upstart and his band of marauders who would seek to usurp the authority of their foreign crown be quelled, this insurrection silenced.

We have also heard the rumors that the self-proclaimed baron uses the name “
Silk”. Though the resemblance is uncanny, we know this mean creature could not be our great Lord, for our great Lord is of heavenly stature. Moreover, we can be assured our great Lord would not seek to threaten that which he has unremittingly labored to build. We are assured that our Lord would swiftly put an end to that which would dare threaten the harmony among us. And to this end, we will continue our investigations into this anomaly, this circumstance which is so clearly bereft a modicum of logic.

Whatever is happening is clearly wrong, it is unacceptable behavior in this foreign realm. We are resolved to convene the wisdom of the Steward and the Nobles. In the meantime, our defenses will be prepared for your safekeeping and the continued prosperity of the realm.

Your State Department.”
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

Re: The Address of the Realm

Post by venis »

Whether or not Vespers would ultimately 'prove' what she set out to do was another matter, as her 'test' resulted in enough confused whispers that the wind had carried them back to the Realm of Twilight. It was unfortunate how fast that sort of information traveled. Why is it always that the kind of information you wish would never spread is exactly the kind that inevitably does?

He would need to squelch unrest in the Realm. And thus another cordial missive much like the first was disseminated.

"People of the Realm,

A number of you have voiced your concerns with my department, which I now write to assuage. Primarily, these supposed grievances fall into two categories.

As for the first matter, many of you have expressed a discontentment or certain anxiety pertaining to the military maneuvering of House Occisor. Be assured it is not lost on me why you would find this unnerving, and I empathize with your sentiment. While I had hoped the original notices to each of you had preempted a concern in this category, it is indeed quite a different matter seeing the edicts of the Council and Steward carried out. Let me be clear about this: we are not preparing for war. In fact, we an amiable land, have remained in a state of peace for more years than just about any other capital realm in the world. That we have had some perceived threats from foreign kingdoms does nothing to change this, rather, it merely affords the members of House Occisor a chance to stretch their legs and meet the rest of their countrymen. Bear in mind that a defensive posture maintains and preserves our way of life in the event of aggression from outside forces, were they ever to come, and is simply wise policy on behalf your kingdom. Their placement is temporary, you will not be asked to quarter them or burden disruptions to your routines, as this has been arranged by your Council of Nobles.

As for the second matter, many of you have heard rumors pertaining to some supposed disappearance of
Vespers, our Steward. Rest content, as this is nothing more than the gossip of wicked and most childish foreigners that have grown with envy for our prosperity and independence afar. In reality, I spoke at length with our Stewardess prior to her departure from the Realm, whereby she informed me she would be away for something of a diplomatic journey. Ultimately, we wish her success in this regard, as should her plans come to fruition then I will be excited to bring you each most enriching news. Moreover, during the tenure of her mission, you will, as ever, be in the capable hands of the Council of Nobles.

With a mind opportunistic for today, and eyes on our mutually profitable future,

Your State Department."

Return to “Realm of Twilight”