When life hands you barons...

For the Kingdom of Twilight and its tribute cities.
Ruler: Shadow Lord Silk, of Dread and Fate
Vespers

When life hands you barons...

Post by Vespers »

There was someone waiting for her in the Council Chambers.

As was often her way, Vespers stepped out from a corner without the man noticing. She moved on silent feet and took a seat. A small smile quirked one side of her face as she waited a full minute for the man to move, or even look up from his papers. When he didn't, she sighed.

“Eh-wha..?” The man turned toward the sound and blinked owlishly at the seated Steward. “I was.... we.... I didn't see you come in.” he finished wearily.

“Cleatly.” She tilted her head to one side and studied the man. Middle-aged, lean, squinting, and nervous, he wore plain but well made robes, tiny spectacles on the end of his nose, and very pointy shoes. “You're one of the clerks who haunt the meeting room downstairs, aren't you?”

The man straightened a bit and nodded. “Yes, Lady. I'm Kreng.” He began to sift through the papers in his hands, squinting a bit. “I had something to bring to you. They told me your office was at some inn in Dominium but I assumed that was a trick... my first week on Reports after twelve years taking minutes below. The things people will do to rattle the new g-”

Vespers' chuckle cut him off. “They weren't lying." She paused and leaned forward in her chair. “What's it about?”

“Just a list of our latest imports from Goldcroft, Lady.”

She smiled and held out her hand. “I'll take that gladly... Some things are still going on as they ought to at least. Before you get back to reports though, find me a few messengers? I need to send word to our Nobles.”

Kreng nodded once and hurried away. The easy smile Vespers had kept on her face faded as she began to write.

In a strange turn of events, Devardec seems to have a new Baron, and one who considers us at war. In a stranger turn, this Baron appears to be our banished king, Silk. We should be cautious, but let us also discover what opportunities we can find - or create - from this.

Let us meet soon.

-Ves

When the messengers arrived she handed them each a copy of her brief note and directed one to each House. Once they were gone she sat for a long time, looking at the portraits on the walls around her.

“What next..?” she asked them, and waited for an answer.
vampirss
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Dread

Re: When life hands you barons...

Post by vampirss »

While sitting in her office, a frantic knocking came to her door. Her gaze when up and she called out for the person to enter. There was Leland, a frantic look on his face. As he entered he handed her a scroll, which was more confusing since he's brought her scrolls before.

"This arrived by messenger. He ran the entire way here. He's being taken care of appropriately. This is from the Steward. I knew you would want to see it right away."

With a nod of her head she takes the scroll from Leland. She breaks the seal and opens the scroll. She read through the scroll, not once but twice. Sighing and nodding, she picked up the quill from the blood pot it was sitting in and started writing a response.

Lady Vespers,

Let me know when you wish to meet and where. I will be there. I will make sure the troops from Umbra and Occisor are on high alert, prepared for anything that may come forward.

She signed the scroll with her normal swirled scrawl, sealed it with the red wax and seal of Umbra. Without standing, she handed the scroll to Leland, "Have this delivered back to the Steward right away. I will need another messenger ready right away. I have a missive to go to Occisor as well."

Leland took the scroll from her and left right away to get things done as instructed. Satyana picked up the quill and penned another scroll.

Nyssa,

There has been a development within Devardec. Things may get troublesome. Make sure the troops are prepared for anything that may occur. You will be kept apprised of any additional changes that may occur. Be wary of any additional missives you may receive unless they come from known nobles or the steward. Our King has been returned in his 150 year past self as the Baron of Devardec.

She signed this scroll as well and closed it in the same manner. By the time she was done another messenger was there at the door, prepared to take the scroll. She lifted it up to him, "Get this to Nyssa in Occisor right away." The messenger took the scroll and left immediately doing as was instructed.

She sat back and waited, knowing Leland would arrive shortly. As expected, there he was at the door a moment later. Looking up at him she gave instructions. "
I require the captains to be prepared. Have them meet me as soon as possible." He nodded and left her sitting there, heading off to fulfill her instructions once again.
Night Empress Satyana
Cardinal of Dread
High Lady of Twilight, House Umbra
Barbarian Guildofficer
Torturous Temptress
Vicious Vampiress
demoness
Guild: Barbarians
Temple: Death

Post by demoness »

Standing in the yard watching the troops practicing their drills, she was busy with Sharmain discussing the workings of the House. The new workers were doing exactly what was needed to give them gear and food for all the troops. More was inquired with the Lady Satyana and surely it was being worked on, but there was little she could do but wait and see what happens. She got a message that said it was being looked into, that's all she could ask for at this time.

It was while she was in the midst of these discussions when Darius came out, interrupting them.
"Demoness, this message has come from House Umbra. The messenger was out of breath, having run here from the House so I figured it had to be important."

She took the scroll from him, tore through the seal with her claw and read the message. After she was done she looked at the two men standing by her and then back at the message. She curled her claws, crumbling the scroll within it. Without a second thought, she looks at the men once more, a new fire in her eyes."Satyana states we need to get the men prepared for possible confrontations. I want there to be roving patrols of a half dozen men regularly. Rotate them every four hours so people can get rest and fed. Make sure everyone's gear is good, repaired and sharpened after each rotation of their shifts. We will be ready when called. I will get in touch with the Tarkiths, they need to be prepared to go into action. Make it happen, Sharmain."

He nodded to her instructions, then turned to the troops to get them gathered and passing on the instructions given. Nyssa, on the other hand, went to her office and started dictating additional instructions to Darius.
Demoness Nyssa, Savant of Death
venis
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Dread

Post by venis »

Venis received the notice, and of course had heard the rumors. What followed were long periods of contemplation and subsequent discourse with all the rest.

In the office of the plantation, Venis thought, then wrote, then thought and wrote more as hours passed.

Propaganda mixed with plenty of truth. A document which captures the views of the Nobles, the Steward, and is thus the word of Twilight.

Irritated from his apparent lack of drinking and sleep, Venis finished the decree and set about to assist the carriers of the House. It would need to reach all stretches of the continent to have the desired impact.
Vespers

Post by Vespers »

The messenger was familiar, one of a pair Vespers found herself turning to more and more often these days. Never thought I’d miss that opinionated shadow imp, but these young people are reliable at least, and quiet. This girl stood silently in the shadows beside the door with her hands clasped loosely behind her back as she waited for Vespers to finish writing. The red-haired woman frowned down at the paper on the desk before her and added one final line before looking up. As the ink dried she spoke quietly.

“Lendrie, have I ever sent you to Nyssa before?”

The young woman thought for a moment before answering. “No, Lady.”

Vespers chuckled. “Well then I should give you a bit of a warning. Not about Nyssa herself, but the army you’ll be walking through to get to her. They’re Twilight’s, and on alert, and likely there are more than a few nervous and raw new recruits among them…. some just out of the quarry. I don’t think I need to tell you this but I rather like you so allow me to play mother hen for a moment.” She paused and looked the young woman in the eyes. “Don’t let them rattle you. Don’t let them stop you from delivering your message, but be as polite as you would be to myself or one of our guards, yea?”

As the young woman nodded, Vespers scattered sand over the paper and blew it off. “Good. Then please deliver this to no one but Nyssa, and come back to me once you’re done. Be swift and safe Lendrie.”

The young woman took the now sealed paper with a solemn nod and hurried away toward the army’s training grounds.

Nyssa,

You are hereby removed from House Umbra and all bonds to that house and its leadership, to work in Occisor directly under me until our King is returned. We’ll meet soon to discuss the assignments you’re making, and there are one or two special matters I’d like to bring to your mind. In the meanwhile, welcome to your new house.

Please do as you train and inform your captains and leaders make sure they understand that we are Not preparing to leave the kingdom, to attack Devardec, or to offer any new threat. We prepare to defend our home and our interests here, in the kingdom. As the strangeness around us grows, this must be our center.

Until we meet again,

-Vespers

Return to “Realm of Twilight”