Time to choose

Tribute City of Goldcroft
sherrie
Guild: Wizards

Time to choose

Post by sherrie »

"'So just an idle citizen or have an interest in the future of the city? I can never tell.'"

Those words had haunted her for many weeks, seeming to follow her every step, clouding every decision that needed to be made.

Who is he to question my allegiance.

She stalked through the crowds, hardly noticing that people would part and create a path as she approached, a static charge in the air seeming to act as an early alert to her arrival from one area to the next. She left through the east gate and her feet took her fast along the road by the coast.

"Have you been actively helping then? I apologize if I wasn't aware."

This was a conversation once had, but it replayed through her mind. She paused at the road leading to Lyresong, but looked east towards the sea as the sun set and the waters darkened ready for night to fall.

An idle citizen I am not.

She takes a deep breath and forces her anger to settle into something more akin to a simmering fury that she could present as something as little as irritation. The storm settles, the frown smoothes, and all that is left are her eyes betraying only a glint of what lies beneath.

She rolls her shoulders once before moving forward again. She approaches Hammerguild with a sense of conviction that translates into an air of authority. As the mage approaches the Tower, the guards glance at each other and hesitate. She halts before the closed door, her gaze flickering from one Guard to the next as she stands silently in wait. One starts to mutter to the other, the second holding a hand up to silence him. The mage then turns her face to the setting sun, its light somehow catching the crests of Goldcroft that mark every petal delicately carved into the gold rose that sits in the braid of her hair. "A pleasant winter's evening, I must say, gentlemen. Would you agree?". She turns once more to look at them, her expression now softened by a warm smile.

The Guards glance once more between them but the doors are opened and she walks passed the men to the office beyond. She stands in the doorway of the Officer's study, pulling her fingers free of her gauntlets. She shifts her pack to the floor and tucks the gauntlets, a small clay stone dropped into one, in an outer pocket before pulling free a bottle of red wine and a clean glass. The bottle is opened and a glass poured.

She takes a long sip of the rich wine as she glances once more around the room, taking in the desk piled high with papers and the limited views from the windows across the rest of Hammerguild. The mage finally lets her eyes focus on the painting above the crest of Lord Croft and her lips curve into the first genuine smile. "Now that is a thing of beauty", she says loud enough for the Guards stood outside the office to hear.
Aeth
Guild: Battlemages
Temple: Dreams

Re: Time to choose

Post by Aeth »

Aetheron finished up his regularly duties for the day, double checking the harbor and finishing one last patrol around the city proper. Everything seemed in order, as the threat of the Khatarans still hadn't breached this part of the realm. Luckily or not he still wasn't entirely sure. He'd pull on the reins of Roland and aim his descent back south towards Hammerguild and the Golden Tower. The day and evening had seemed uneventful so far and he was prepared to relax with a cold glass of whiskey in his office.

As he rode down the eastern road his thoughts were more on the new acquisition and what was resting in the waters outside of Hammerguild. He could see the tip of unfamiliar sails off in the distance, but wasn't planning just yet to visit the ship. There was still a report to be filed and he could check on the progress of the training areas in the morning. There was enough time now that his subordinates were carrying out their orders efficiently that he wasn't nearly as concerned about micromanaging every portion of the garrison.

So, instead of the usual stop on the east bank, he'd turn to the west directly for the tower. The Commander trotting up slower than normal as he sensed something off among the two guards that were stationed outside the tower. Their body language wasn't rigid and prepared as usual, one shifting uneasily at his approach. Aetheron stopped his steed a bit closer than normal letting the cloud of poisonous fog lick close to the guard. His eyes narrowed as he examined both of them carefully and before he could question, one of the guards blurted, "Commander, the Lady Sherrie had requested entrance and awaits you in your office." Almost immediately dismounting and handing off the reins of his mount his brows pursed tight together with a hint of confusion and intrigue. One last bark as he closed the doors behind him, "No one else is allowed in the tower until I say so."

Aetheron hurried to the entrance of his office, seeing both his personal guards standing outside the door. Both eyes averted momentarily, but then matched his the best they could. His words like ice as he pushed them aside as well, "We will discuss your failure to follow orders once I'm finished here. You're dismissed, but stand by." There was a moment of hesitation before both his guards made their way outside the tower's main entrance. A deep breath followed as he straightened himself and double checked his attire. What possibly could bring her here? Perhaps the Khataran had finally found a way to their doorstep...

Sherrie could be found sitting calmly with her glass of red wine, admiring the masterpiece displayed across Aetheron's back wall. It did seem to impress all who stepped into his office and for good reason. With a quick greeting and the usual niceties they would discuss artistic details and commissioning of such a piece of work. Even so, the conversation went in many directions...only a few bits and pieces still remain:

'I found myself... troubled.. as it were, that any could think me idle when it came to my allegiance to Goldcroft'

'I wanted something to remind me of the humble beginnings of the fleet in Goldcroft.'

'But, surely, word will travel fast that the ship is here?'

'If it is indeed a trap, it could be disastrous if it was in the Golden Harbor.'

'If that were to be something I could assist with, perhaps it would cement my assertion of true commitment to our King?'

'I feel they have been looted already of the more decent finery, but sometimes the least valuable are the most... valuable'

'Until next time Archmage.'

With the departure of the Lady Mage, the gnome began to combine his notes he took during their meeting. Plans would have to be made and he had a few different things in mind as well as contingencies that would need to be taken account of. Men would have to be procured for this particular mission, the right men. One of the master shipwrights still responsible for expanding the fleet in the Golden Harbor.. Four men including one of his trusted lieutenants and a half dozen slaves would be set aside for this particular expedition. He wasn't entirely sure the complete details yet, as everything would have to be skimmed over with a fine comb. But, this was a good start and he would begin handpicking the particular men in the morning.

For now, he could pour another chilled glass of Northern Whiskey and relax. A wider smile than had touched his lips in a long time. That painting was indeed beautiful.

Goldcroft's Commander and Captain of the First Fleet Aetheron
Aeth
Temple: Dreams

Post by Aeth »

The meeting with Lord Sliper and Archmage Sherrie went as well as he could expect. Originally in the square, it was easily decided that it was probably against everyone's best interest to discuss important matters in such a public forum. Luckily, the Hall of Records was relatively empty once they arrived. Although, to ensure its privacy all of the occupants understood how urgent a matter must be for the three of them to meet still in a semi public place and was quickly cleared out. It would have to do for the time being as there was much to be talked over.

Unfortunately, most of the rumors were true and he had expected as much with the wide spread information network they had put in place. But, as the discussions between the three grew, more than a few ideas were mulled over for a best course of action. The two most important topics:

----------

"Was this an actual plague even if thus far it didn't appear to be contagious?"
Aetheron upon finalizing the discussion had to begin preparations to assure whether or not this was a plague, a trap, or if their newly acquired ship was a prize or harbinger. The ship was the most important part to answering these questions. It didn't appear as if anyone involved in the original acquisition besides Lord Sliper had fallen ill. So, the Commander would have to take matters into his own hands to ensure that there wasn't a greater threat to their kingdom.

Perhaps some would disagree with his intended method, but their say or weak resolve would have little pull on his actions. Of course, it's simple to paint the picture of needing to ensure that the ship required a thorough inspection, cleaning, and whatever maintenance might be needed. The morning after his meeting with the others, his real preparations began. For once in a long time he had had a decent night's rest and woke with a purpose. It all started with a small excursion to the jails of Goldcroft.

A small crew was to be procured from a dozen or so prisoners. Under the guise of cleaning the ship each prisoner would be carefully monitored for any potential changes in health over the course of the next week. It wasn't long once he met with the warden that he was promised what he needed and they were to be delivered to Hammerguild later that evening. Now he would just need to hand select one of his lieutenants that had no fear of the potential of the plague and would be trusted to keep the main purpose of his duty to himself.

----------

"I only need one shipwright and I'll be prepared for the mission"
With the prison crew being prepared to board the Khataran ship later in the evening, he needed to finalize preparations for Lady Sherrie's expedition. This would be much simpler and quicker as he had already sent out messengers over the past week and gathered intel on who could be trusted in her care. Originally, he had anticipated on a larger force to accompany her to the west, so the scope of the mission had been reduced greatly. From everything that he had been told from the men in Golden Harbor and from his own military eyes, Eisen was the perfect shipwright for this particular journey.

Aetheron had given the man notice in advance through a messenger. He was the perfect candidate because although he was much more than an above average shipwright, he wasn't so exceptional to be irreplaceable. As he had discussed the previous evening, this was an important quality to keep the construction of their fleet in a timely manner, but also to have someone with the knowledge to fill in the gaps the Archmage might not possess. Against his advice, she was adamant about having as small a presence as possible and it wouldn't take long for their meeting time to creep up on him.

The last portion was to meet west of the city proper to secure their courier chain as there was a very real threat that the Khatarans and even worse Norland's other citizens attempting magical espionage. Lord Sliper and himself had agreed to open up the chain to Lady Sherrie and only through a brief conversation and further planning was the chain broken and reassembled involved the three of them.

-----------

Once again, there were still loose ends to tie up. At least he had both points to his two pronged plan in motion and soon he'd find out the progress of each. An eventful and productive day, all he had to do now was to see off the prison crew and his designated man from Hammerguild's beach. A sharp tug on the reins of Roland would take him back down to the training grounds to admire not only the trainees' progress, but the ocean, and the silhouette of a ship far larger in scale than any they'd had before.

Goldcroft's Commander and Captain of the First Fleet Aetheron
sherrie

Post by sherrie »

Several days had passed and the desert sun had darkened the skin of her arms and face. The Wizard had waited patiently, confident in her plan and her trust in Aetheron to have selected someone capable of following her simple instructions. Cloaked with invisibility, she had followed the messenger sent to Eisen and knew his face, and it was now he that she waited for.

A small package had been sent, a note sealed with wax concealing a small map and a list of directions. Some, perhaps, would have thought it an unnecessary precaution but age had bred suspicion and she had seen that the war with the Khatarans had cast light on the character of some whilst others had become hidden in shadow. Even the Battlemage was absent, a companion whose constant presence she had begun to rely on. Even he had faltered. The elf now stood alone surrounded by the repercussions of war.

She had chosen Camp Azyhier as the meeting point, as any person was able to blend into the commotion. This was easily a truth of hers as she loaned her skills as a healer whilst she moved with the grace of a confident fighter. To them, she was part of the defence force, and she was willing to accept that role for such time as her own path crossed with theirs on this journey of her own design.

The Wizard was nursing a glass of Throtternhommer's Thunder when Eisen entered. She acknowledged with approval the plain clothing that was silent on his allegiance to Goldcroft. Another's drunken singing hid their brief exchange but not his order of Guiness. As darkness fell, they slipped out of the bar, their departure drawing even less attention than had their presence.

On the fringes of the Wildlands, as they made their way to the Great Western Road, their steps blurred with the signs of the increased traffic and hid their visit. The Wizard led Eisen towards Tranos, his fear making him stumble and his movements stutter. "You will be safe if you move quickly, shipwright. And you can at least be sure that your skills are still required by me." They pass the ruins and the hum is behind them when she comes to an abrupt halt. She turns slowly, watching the road ahead carefully and then the road behind. Satisfied they were alone, she opened the path and led him to the rocky shore that gave way slowly to a soft beach.

They stood in the shelter of the cove and stared out at the wrecks. She had kept her distance, the unknown illness plaguing Sliper never far from her thoughts.

"Will these assist in learning more of how to replicate them?"

"It will require some closer examination."

"You have time, but not long. Recover as many items as you can carry as well. I will wait in here." She pulls her amulet free of her neck, wrapping the chain through and between her fingers.

It can be no coincidence that they landed here.....

She waited until she had seen that Eisen had climbed over the rocks and into the wrecks before unlocking the door behind her. She passed through the cabin to the small beach beyond, removing her boots before stepping onto the cooled sand. Sherrie sat under the empty hammock as the morning sun began to rise, and she waited.
vodericknight

Post by vodericknight »

"Do you remember the wrecks?" she'd asked him, and that was really all he needed to hear.

He didn't know what she was up to, but then, he rarely did. For a long time, he'd followed her, from the streets of the Golden City, to the giant-infested woods, to lizard-plagued Tolkania. Once, when he'd been at his most... foolishly besotted, he'd followed her for years through byzantine caverns, blighted with despair, until he'd almost forgotten the sun. His reasons were simple. But hers were always unknown.

Those days were past now. He'd sought his own path, and had almost found one.

It had all gone wrong. It all lay in ruin around him. Friendships destroyed, carefully cultivated alliances shattered, hope abandoned. What did he have left? His life lay in a crumpled heap, like a puppet with its strings cut.

And then she'd called him. "Do you remember the wrecks?"

He hadn't had to think twice. And now they sat on that beach, watching the sun rise. Once, he'd dreamt of a day like this. But that time had passed. That him had gone, swept away in the swirling Chaos that now engulfed him. Yet here she was, and he was learning something. Learning, perhaps, that there is more than one kind of Chaos. For the Chaos outside terrified him. He could see within it an inkling of the fate before him, and he knew it would not end well. But the Archmage's own personal Chaos was... soothing. Familiar. He could never understand it, any more than he could understand what she was up to. But maybe that didn't matter. He'd found something worthwhile, even here on the brink. Maybe, given time, he could have found himself as well. But that seemed unlikely now.

There were worse ways to wait for the thread of your fate to be cut. On the beach, with a beautiful woman, watching the sun rise... perhaps it was enough just to live in that moment(one moment give me just one moment to fix things one moment to do something worthwhile one moment so I didn't waste everything one moment).

--

He hadn't asked for her help. He hadn't told her his plans.

That would have ruined everything.
sherrie

Post by sherrie »

"You did well to wait until he had gone," the Wizard gave a short nod to the setting sun as the shipwright stood in the doorway behind her. She stood and rolled her shoulders as she flexed her fingers. One of the two palm trees offered one hand some support whilst the other hand pulled her boots on swiftly dusted feet.

"Lord Aetheron, he was clear with his instructions," was Eisen's hesitant response.

"Were you able to get what was required?"

"There were few belongings left, and I can carry those, but I was able to examine their craftsmanship in ways a whole complete ship would never offer," he begins as Sherrie stands and glances at him before looking back out to sea. She reaches up and pulls her amulet free, brushing the pad of a thumb across its surface before pulling it over her head. She presses it against her chest with a soft sigh.

"They have found a way to - "

"I do not need to know the details. It will mean nothing to me. Simply write it all down for me, all of it, on immediate return to Goldcroft and speak of it to no one. I will discuss what you have learned with the Lords Aetheron and Sliper. We will wait for night to fall and then return to Goldcroft." She turns to face him fully, fixing him with narrowed eyes that appear to him black in the gathering gloom, "but you speak of this, and what you have learned, to no one." Her features soften and she steps passed him into the cabin.
sherrie

Post by sherrie »

The wizard had waited atop the sea wall for the shipwright to finish his task. The days had folded into weeks but the passage of time was one thing she had long ago stopped observing. The waves had continued to crash against the stone below, the winds had continued to swirl, and the days passed to night in their regular fashion. Perhaps she did not moved, perhaps she moved only little as the salt crystals collected across her skin. Vasari still smiled upon the lands, and that was all the wizard needed to know.

Eisen had climbed the tower, a small book wrapped in cloth tucked beneath his outer clothes and hidden from view. Few words were then exchanged, but the bound pages passed from one to the other as did a pouch of gold pieces. The shipwright waited as she thumbed through the early records; it was a detailed record that had been made illustrated with diagrams, detailed drawings, measurements and commentary revealing the skill of the craftsman.

"You have done very well," she allowed a tone of admiration warm her words and felt his blush without needing to look to him. "Lord Aetheron's words still apply; speak to no one of this."

Confusion clouded his eyes but he nodded as the pouch of gold was tucked away out of sight.

Sherrie looked up and rewarded him with a smile that almost reached her eyes, "I will of course ensure that Lord Aetheron is fully advised of your loyalty. You have truly done exceptionally well."

The shipwright inclined his head briefly and stepped back before turning to leave.

Return to “Hammerguild”