A Beginning or An End

The City of Gold
sliper
Guild: Warlocks
Temple: Fate

A Beginning or An End

Post by sliper »

As usual, Sliper sat alone in his office. After all, there was nobody he could trust.

He learned that lesson when he was much younger, of course; still, his current position required a particular intimate understanding of that fact. The realm of Goldcroft had many noble families that were able to earn or maintain their status via their contributions to the city's coffers, all derived from a variety of exploits, though mainly mercantile in nature. They were useful to him in many ways, yet he was never quite free of being useful to them.

Yet, against formidable odds, Sliper had earned his position and maintained it. Before he was appointed Minister of State, no one in Norland would have predicted it, absent Lord Silk - and perhaps not even he. Yet here we was, bypassing the first sons of many noble families of Goldcroft; and to think, Sliper had been born in the desert to the south.

And as you may expect, his mind was filled with doubt and uncertainty. What would his legacy be, he pondered. His marriage as a younger man was a failure; the woman who had recently won his heart had disappeared. He had no offspring, no disciples, not even a single young man seeking a father figure or mentor. He was truly alone in this world.

"Where can I go from here?" he pondered, overlooking his magnificently carved table representing all of the known realm. Goldcroft boasted a fleet the likes of which Norland had never seen, thanks to his own trade agreements, the skill and attention of Commander Aetheron, and a crew trained by an extremely experienced warrior who remains nameless (all of which, in his own mind, he was responsible for). The realm of Goldcroft faced no threats from its neighbors, or anyone else for that matter; the Guardians of Devardec were as inactive and impotent as they had ever been.

As he looked over the table, he continued to wonder. "Is my thread reaching its end? Have I done all I can do, accomplished all there is to accomplish? Or is this just the beginning? Is this a rebirth of sorts?"

He fell over the table, resting his head between his arms, his forehead on his fists. Perhaps he sobbed. After remaining that way for several minutes, he grabbed his cloak and headed for his temple.
Sliper, Charter Member

Return to “Goldcroft”